After assembling the full size prototype for DRAFT005, it was clear that the dimensions were slightly off and although the pieces fit together well for the paper model, it didn't translate so well to thicker cardboard so DRAFT006 is almost a complete redesign while maintaining some of the structural qualities of the previous version. Click the button below to view the redesign currently being cut at the Vilniaus dailės akademija with the support of Nida Art Colony.
I took a quick trip to Nida so that I could assemble the cardboard coffin components I've been cutting with the VDA laser engraver. It turned out pretty well but after seeing the full size version and making it out of cardboard there are some design changes I am gong to make with in regards to the tab/slot system, the lid and the overall dimensions of the finished coffin. It wasn't quite functional but I intend for the final design and instructions to be ready/available for downloading soon.
Today, thanks to Nida Art Colony and Vilniaus dailės akademija, I was able to test out the laser engraver and cut out a few pieces. I only had a small amount of cardboard but it was enough to learn some things.
One problem is that their computer uses an old version of CorelDraw and I use Adobe Illustrator so I may have to import and modify the designs to fit into CorelDraw.
Starting tomorrow, thanks to Nida Art Colony, I will have access to Vilnius Art Academy's laser engraver in the evenings, on my own to complete the prototyping stage of this project. After talking with the head technician yesterday I learned that I needed to change the colors used in the file from red to black for cutting and blue to light grey for scoring. I also remembered that I changed the shape of the slots which the structural beams fit into but I forgot to change the actual shape of the structural beams so that was also changed in this draft. The complete printout can be downloaded as a PDF below.